Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Why I Keep a Blog

Short post today.

I woke up to an email from an woman I dated decades ago. She found me from searching for me and running across my blog. We got to speak for a bit today and both of us have very vivid memories of our times together. She and her family are right down the road in Richmond, a little more than an hour's drive away.

I can't wait to meet with her, catch up, meet her husband and two children and see how life has treated her.

Some things never change. Friendship, luckily for us, is apparently one of them.

Oh, stories with Linda would definitely come under the "Labels" category. She reminded me of the times when we were out on dates and carloads of ignorant rednecks would yell 'race mixers' at us.

Funny thing: She's now a VP and General Manager of black radio stations. I knew I saw something soulful about that woman!

Almost completed the Diversity and Conflict Resolution course for the folks in Boston. Looking forward to getting in an mixing it up with younguns to see where they are with 'diversity'. I'm sure none of them rides around screaming at mixed race couples. Well, you know the one about making assumptions, don't you?

By the way, yesterday was the 39th anniversary of the Supreme Court's decision striking down anti-misegenation laws, the Loving case. Imagine the power of love in 1957 Virginia that helped a white man marry a black woman (they wed in DC where there were no such laws against their nuptuals). See http://www.lovingday.org for a little more on that particular story.

More soon.

No comments: